Sunday, February 21, 2010

Going Bananas -OR- Look, Ma! No Dairy!

(Be careful! If you look too closely you will see chocolate on their noses!)

Today I wish to share a recipe with you, dear reader.... if, indeed, any of you out there in the blogoshpere are reading my blog. I have a recipe for a smoothie that is so good it gives ice cream a serious run for its money. So if you like to minimize dairy in your house, I encourage you to give this recipe a try!

Peanut Butter Mud Smoothie
(serves 1)

1 and 1/2 bananas, frozen
1 Tablespoon peanut butter
1 teaspoon cocoa
rice or soy milk to blend
1 pinch of salt


Break bananas into pieces and drop into blender.
Add remaining ingredients.
Adjust cocoa and peanut butter to your personal taste.
Do not forget salt! It really makes all the difference in this recipe.
ENJOY!



This afternoon, my youngest and I made brownies for dessert. I thought they would be tasty ala mode, so I decided to make a thick version of the smoothie to top off the brownies, warm from the oven. I added an extra banana, and used a little less rice milk. It spooned out of the pitcher just like soft serve! This was a smash hit in our house! Everyone gobbled it up!


About the bananas. They freeze so easily and are so handy to have around. I buy them by the shopping cart full when they go on sale because they are slightly overripe. I take them home, peel them, put them in freezer bags, and pop them into the freezer. I think my husband once bought 50 pounds of bananas this way! Seriously! I'm not ever worried about having too many. I use them in so many ways. I start my world famous oatmeal with them. I make smoothies with them. And who can resist freshly baked banana bread?

Ice cream is simply not something we keep in our freezer. So if you want the taste, texture, and comfort of ice cream, SANS dairy and sugar, give this recipe a try. I guarantee you will not be disappointed. This summer, I plan on freezing the mixture in popsicle molds. I'll bet that's a big hit with the kids, too.

Based on this and my last entry, you might get the idea that this is becoming a food blog, but never fear! There has been knitting going on in the house, as well. After a brief interlude to knit Ohio State Buckeyes themed dishcloths for my son's silent auction fund raiser at school, I have returned to the ever-enticing miter. Soon, it will be available as a free pattern on Ravelry...




... but for now, back to my tasks at hand.


No comments:

Post a Comment