Sunday, May 16, 2010

Mama's Bullet-Proof Waffles

When I asked my family what they thought a good name for my waffles would be, my husband came up with the best answer: Bullet-Proof Waffles. They are delicious, good for you, and I always feel nourished after eating them. I'm happy to offer these for breakfast, along with fresh fruit and pure maple syrup. I've never served them to anyone who didn't like them, and I'm pretty sure you'll like them, too. Without further ado, I give you



Mama's Bullet-Proof Waffles


Above is the recipe, so you can follow along. If you click on it, it will get larger.



Start off by dumping 4 cups of rolled oats into a big bowl. Then pour 5 cups of your choice of milk - I use soy - on top of them and let them soak for 15 or 20 minutes.



Then add a couple tablespoons of vegetable oil.



Next, crack 6 to 8 eggs into a smaller bowl and scramble them.



Pour them into the bowl along with the oats, milk, and oil.



Now's a good time to get our your waffle iron, plug it in to preheat, spray on a bit of oil if yours needs it.




After a brief stir to combine all the wet stuff, add the rest of the ingredients:

4 Cups flour
2 Tbsp. agave nectar
4 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt





Mix it all up, just well enough to combine. Over mixing makes for tough waffles, and we can't have that!



This is a good time to show you the salt I use. It's Himalayan Sea Salt, and is fabulous! Old, full of minerals, tasty, AND beautiful. I got it from my friend who offers it in her store.



By now, your iron should be hot and ready to go. Pour a cup to a cup and a half of batter into the center of the waffle iron and spread it out a bit.



Then close the lid and go work on...



the dishes... ugh.
Take a glance at your waffle iron and you will see a thing of great beauty, and a good subject for home school chemistry:






Ahhh, look at those babies rising and lifting the heavy lid of the waffle iron! Hmmmm... I can smell them already!



This is about the time my kids start listening for the "twee twee twee!" sound of my waffle iron. It sounds just like the noise they make right before Anthony Perkins is about to use his knife in the shower scenes of "Psycho." Oh it's not THAT bad... just kind of reminiscent, actually.



Lift the lid, remove with the assistance of a fork, and you have 4 beautiful, golden brown, waffles, steaming and ready for butter and maple syrup.



We use local maple syrup, to help support our neighbors, and because it's one of Mother Earth's nectars. If we eat it from local sources it feeds us better than, say, maple syrup from Vermont.



Enjoy! And please let me know how you like them!

Next time... granola!

No comments:

Post a Comment